Mission at First Presbyterian: A History of Service
From the very start of our congregation in 1869, our church has been involved in the preaching, teaching, and healing ministry of Jesus Christ. Here in our community, and around our world, we want our neighbors to receive the love of Jesus.
- We’ve played a key role in the multiplication of Presbyterian churches in our community: El Montecito (1887), St. Andrews (1959), and Goleta (1960).
- First Presbyterian Church has sent young people to seminary to prepare for service in mission and in pastoral ministry.
- We co-founded Transition House and have served for years at Santa Barbara Rescue Mission and Community Kitchen.
- We reach out with compassion and resources to our neighbors without homes, participating in Safe Parking and the Freedom Warming Centers.
- Working with the Red Cross, we have provided shelter for fire victims.
- We have been actively involved in the mission work of our presbytery.